18 injured after an explosion in Girona during a science show that went wrong

They were manipulating liquid nigrogen inside a barrel / A 5yr girl is severly hurt

18 people injured during a sicence show that took place yesterday evening in Girona (Catalonia). The performance, held by a well-known scientist that made regular TV appearances, was supposed to combine liquid nitrogen with hot water inside a barrel, but something went wrong and a blast happened.

The mayor of Girona, Marta Madrenas, explained that there was no chemical risk for the population of the city and everybody should remain calm. Seven units of firemen went to the location, as well as several Mossos d'Esquadra catalan police. Many worried people gattered around the Casa de Cultura (Culture's House), most of them attendants of the show that didn't understand what happened. There were approximately 300 people in front of the barrel when the explosion happened.

The show took place during the celebration of the European Researchers’ Night, a Europe-wide public event, which displays the diversity of science and its impact on citizens' daily lives in fun, inspiring ways. This year, the event took place in 26 countries yesterday evening.

Members of the University of Girona (UdG) said they were "sorry" for the incident and offered all the help needed to the injured. The Vice Chancellor of UdG, Salvador Martí, said to El Gerió Digital that this is a "very common and frequent experiment" but this time "incomprehensible" ended in tragedy.

Five people were taken to Josep Trueta's Hospital and thirteen more were taken to other health facilities. There are ten children among the injured; a 5-year-old is severely injured, while a 10-year-old and a 12-year-old are less severe.